We’re looking for a talented intermediate designer to join our world class design team.
What we’re looking for?
You're a skilled UI/UX designer. You have a real drive to innovate on every single project, pushing the boundaries of interface design and ensuring each project is unique, fresh and of the highest quality. You're able to express your vision with clarity and enthusiasm. As a passionate follower of design trends, you recognise and champion great ideas. You're a creative problem solver, able to express your vision with clarity and enthusiasm. You will be client facing, presenting work and managing the design process from wireframes to shipping. You’re a Figma wizard - we design and prototype nearly everything in Figma.
Skills and experience required
- At least 6 years design experience with 3 or more years spent in a junior (or higher) capacity role at a digital agency
- Hands-on experience with design for web and mobile applications, commercial products and solving complex UX/UI scenarios
- Exceptional communication skills
- An Adobe guru, but Figma is your buzz now
- At least 1 year of Figma experience
- Strong understanding of information architecture and interactive design
- Familiar with web accessibility best practices. HTML & CSS knowledge
- Previously worked in a high paced environment, and able to turn around jobs quickly at a highly resolved - world class level
- Have a genuinely creative and artistic approach. Cookie cutter designers need not apply
- Have a strong focus on UI/UX design and a solid background in graphic design
What you’ll be doing
- Developing clear and concise wireframes and UX plans
- Produce creative visual concepts that comunicate core ideas of the brief
- Generate UI screens and & art-boards at a low fidelity level to address core UX issues
- Create initial, original designs, based on wires and project scope and feedback from low fidelity rounds and wireframe approval.
- Create smooth well functioning prototypes to share with design team and client
- Create design systems, libraries and components for each new project
- Prepare estimates for your own work and communicate with director, seniors and dev teams
- Manage internal communication and feedback rounds. Apply feedback to projects efficiently with good communication
- Strive to enhance the user experience in digital products. Accessibility and UX efficacy is paramount
- Communicate ideas and options with the client when required
- Maintain a consistently high level of communication with the Dovetail team
- During development, when required, create designs for new features and consider how these work within the entire project — reflect changes across Figma projects and prototypes when this happens
- Jump on any and all internal design projects for Dovetail
We have a type...
The kind of people we like to work with:
- Are highly curious. They believe in continuous improvement, learning and knowledge.
- Are one part pedant, one part pragmatic, zero parts jerk.
- Are crafty like a fine carpenter, not a fox.
- Have a favourite emoji, excellent taste in GIFs, and can throw a shaka 🤙
What's #dovelife like?
We have always been a distributed first company, this allows us to work where ever and how ever we are most productive. We have nice offices in Surry Hills Sydney, Auckland CBD and, Wellington. We try hard to make our offices fun to be in, so we see many of our team split their time between the office (dog friendly) and home (children on lap during zoom calls).
The people on your team may not be co-located with you — because of this we value people who are self-motivated and comfortable working in an asynchronous and distributed team.
We value learning and growth. Part of that is the Dovetail library: expense any book and share it with the team when you're done. We take time to do things the right way and encourage sharing you to bring your personality and interests to work.
We also value your health both mental and physical and will give you $200 to spend on something health and fitness-ey each year.
Dovetail is also growing quickly, which opens up significant opportunities for growth and leadership. We are a Deloitte Fast 50 company in New Zealand, coming in at the second fastest growing technology company in the country.
Dovetail Ventures is an arm of the business where we found, invest in, or grow businesses. Working at Dovetail gives you ownership in current and future ventures. You can think of it as owning an index fund of early stage technology companies. Three of our ventures have taken rounds of external funding and are in growth mode, going into Series A rounds in 2020. So there's some real value there already.
Since we're split across two countries, we like to get together face to face at least once a year as a company for a team retreat. Last year we went to Queenstown, New Zealand. Previous years we've gone to Indonesia and Costa Rica. Next year we hope to make up for this year's stay-cation.