Head of People & Culture
We are looking for a Head of People & Culture who will drive forward the design and build of a world-class people experience function. You will play a significant role in helping us achieve our vision of becoming the leading builder and funder of technology companies in ANZ.
This is a very exciting role to join our senior leadership team as the Head of People & Culture, You'll drive the design and build of a world class people function, to achieve our vision of becoming the leading builder and funder of technology companies in ANZ.
Dovetail's mission is to drive the world forward by transforming ambitious ideas into unstoppable businesses. At our core, we operate as a full-service product development studio that also builds and invests in a variety of ventures. With entrepreneurship in our DNA, we specialise in building exceptional digital products that scale via our:
- Studio Partnerships (large, long-term strategic partnerships with the likes of Afterpay), and;
- Venture Partnerships (working directly with startup founders to found, fund, and build their businesses from the ground up)
Our new Head of People & Culture will be vital to uphold Dovetail's growth trajectory and future success, as we're gearing up to double in size over the next 12-18 months.
As the Dove 🕊 in charge of People & Culture, you will have the opportunity to:
- Work with our leadership team and wider team members to build upon and execute the long-term vision for all People and Culture functions, consistently improving our effectiveness and helping us achieve our overall business goals
- Leading all internal communications from architecting and refining the existing strategy to continuous execution and implementation
- Be integral in helping us scale our current culture and talent pool by implement people and culture technology & processes as required. We believe our culture is a distinct advantage, but it's up to you to kick it up a notch
- Proactively identify problems and opportunities within our People roadmap and develop short and long term solutions
- Work with Partners & Senior leaders to own all strategy and discussions on people projects. From policy creation, OKR’s, 1:1 frameworks etc to helping us scale
- Support the leadership team in designing and rolling out individual and team performance plans, compensation frameworks, benefits and more
- Managing talent acquisition operations including preparation of job descriptions, applicant tracking, candidate communications, onboarding new starters and more. This will be a large part of the role initially before we build out your team
- Work with marketing in owning employee branding initiatives such as award applications, management of the careers page on the website, digital brand storytelling and more
- Provide coaching and feedback to leadership and the wider team, assisting in guiding professional development programs to help develop more junior members of the team
- Be a driving force for achieving our business goals around diversity and inclusion
- Build scalable learning and curriculum, organisational development, and peer feedback programs that aid in growing our team’s capabilities and drive employee retention
- Onboarding, Orientation, and Offboarding, directly design, build and manage this whole process and experience
- Ownership of the organisational, ladders and signals for promotions and how business units relate
We value your experience... 🧰
We look beyond how many years you've spent in a role and your educational background. Of course, the number of qualifications and certifications you've obtained is a testament to your hunger to learn. But, we like to think there's a lot more to your experience than this.
When it comes to a Head of People & Culture, we want to know:
- What people & culture leadership experience you've had at similar-sized or larger organisations like ours
- Industry experience as a whole
- Whether you have a background in talent acquisition, as this will be favourable at the start
- What scale-up experience you've had growing teams from 70 to 200+ people
- How you tell your story and how you will motivate/inspire others
We enjoy working with... 💭
People from all walks of life who:
- Are highly curious. They believe in continuous improvement and lifelong learning
- Are one part pedant, one part pragmatist
- Are crafty like a sculptor, not a fox
- Have a favourite emoji and excellent taste in GIFs
What's #dovelife like? 🕊
We have always been a distributed first company. This allows us to work wherever, whenever (largely), and however, we are most productive. We have lovely offices in Surry Hills (Sydney), Auckland CBD, and Wellington. We've put in a lot of work to make sure our offices are enjoyable places to spend time, so most of our team members split their time between the office (dog friendly) and home (children on laps during Zoom calls). The people on your team may not be co-located with you because we value self-motivated and comfortable working in an asynchronous and distributed team.
We value continuous learning and self-improvement. Part of that is the Dovetail Library: expense any book and share it with the team when you're done.
We encourage you to bring your personality and interests to work and have Slack channels set up to discuss life's simplest pleasures like #food, #gardening, and #life-hacks. Given that we're a distributed team, we always make time for virtual banter to keep the team connected, including Friday themed playlists, Watercooler topics, and Slackbot daily check-ins.
We also value your health (both mental and physical) and will give you $200 to spend on something health and "fitness-y" each year, whether that's towards therapy, yoga classes, or new trainers.
Dovetail is also growing quickly, which opens up significant opportunities for growth and leadership. We are a Deloitte Fast50 company in New Zealand, coming in as the second fastest-growing technology company. We've also recently been ranked as the fourth fastest-growing company in New Zealand by the Financial Times.
Dovetail Ventures is an arm of the business where we found, fund, and build businesses from the ground up. Working at Dovetail gives you ownership in current and future ventures. You can think of it as owning an index fund of early-stage technology companies. Three of our ventures have taken rounds of external funding and are in growth mode, having recently gone through Series A rounds. In other words, there's some real value there already.
And adventures 🛩
Since we're split across two countries, we like to get together face-to-face at least once a year as a company for a team retreat. In previous years, we've gone to Indonesia, Costa Rica and Queenstown (NZ). This year we hope to make up for last year's staycation. 🤞