We're looking for someone to join our lean and highly autonomous Operations/Finance team. Dovetail has grown and so has the requirement for analysis, financial rigour, operational improvements and an extra person asking "Is this still the best way".
Operations and Finance are here to serve the company and therefore we touch on a lot. We look after the money, forecasting of 55 peoples time, client reporting, finding offices, accounting, tax, ventures and analysis.
This is a new role and the title is Commercial Analyst. Titles taken from corporates don't tend to translate well to companies that are doubling every 1.5 years. So take a gander at the responsibilities below and see if it's up your alley.
- Financial control - you will have it. Expenses, salaries, bills, invoices all will be reviewed and approved by you.
- Cashflow forecasting - we have money in the bank, we collect invoices and we pay people. - It's your job to make sure we know if the invoices are late we can pay our people.
- Month-end - you will take it from near TB stage to management accounts
Assistance with operational activities, such as
- New office hunts / Lease negotiations
- Insurance renewals
- Supporting a semi-distributed workforce
- Analysis - Using a spreadsheet to help answer "Does it make sense to invest in venture X and rate of Y under Z circumstance? What about if Z has 3 different outcomes?"
- Managing other processes that serve our customers
The kind of people we like to work with:
- 6-8 years of financial experience
- Penchant for process
- Knows that a spreadsheet is not the answer, but is usually the path to the answer
- Pragmatic and operationally focused
- Comfortable working in an asynchronous and distributed team
- Experience with Xero is beneficial
What's #dovelife like?
We're a distributed team, split across Australia and New Zealand. We have nice offices in Hyde Park, Sydney and Auckland CBD. But flexibility has always been a part of Dovetail, so many of our staff work one or two days a week from home.
The people on your team may not be co-located with you — because of this we value people who are self-motivated and comfortable working in an asynchronous and distributed team.
We value learning and growth. Part of that is the Dovetail library: expense any book and share it with the team when you're done. We take time to do things the right way and encourage sharing you to bring your personality and interests to work.
Dovetail Ventures is an arm of the business where we found, invest in, or grow businesses. Working at Dovetail gives you ownership in current and future ventures. Several of our ventures have taken rounds of external funding and are in growth mode. So there's some real value there already.
Since we're split across two countries, we like to get together face to face at least once a year as a company for a team retreat. Last year we went to Queenstown, New Zealand. Previous years we've gone to Indonesia and Costa Rica. We're still figuring out what to do with the whole "global pandemic" thing and retreats, but we'll sort something...