About Dovetail 🕊
Dovetail's mission is to transform ambitious ideas into unstoppable businesses. We design and build digital products used and loved by millions of people across the globe, every day. We’re a tight-knit team, who care deeply about our craft. We have nests for our Doves in Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland and Wellington — but value productivity over presence.
The role 🧩
We are looking for an enthusiastic Assistant Accountant to join our highly autonomous Operations Team.
Whilst this is a finance-flavoured role, you will be part of an agile Operations Team that is focussed on serving and supporting our growing business and team. (Exhibit A: We are gearing up to double in size over the next 12-18 months!).
Our new Assistant Accountant will play a critical role in our dependable, growing and continually improving finance function. We're on the lookout for someone with exceptional attention to detail, an optimistic approach to change, and initiative in abundance.
We can shape this role to be full-time or part-time. Whilst the finance team is currently based in Auckland, we are a distributed company and support flexible and remote working.
What we’re looking for 🧐
- 2-5+ years' experience in a similar role.
- A grounded understanding of accounting principles, having preferably completed or currently working towards an accounting qualification.
- A true team player who enjoys working in a small finance team of a dynamic, fun and fast-growing business.
- Strong communication skills and candour.
- Someone who is comfortable working in sprints (a la Agile methodology).
- Experience with Xero's accounting system, and add-ons (preferred).
- A keen interest in startups, current technology and future tech trends.
What you'll be doing 🌟
Nailing the basics:
- Managing financial processes - Client invoicing and reporting, paying our suppliers, reconciling the bank, facilitating expenses and credit cards.
Being a penchant for process:
- Managing month-end requirements - Processing journals, reconciling the balance sheet, understanding variances beyond the numbers, and helping with ad hoc analysis.
- Assisting with global compliance reporting - e.g. GST, statutory accounts
- Liaising with external financial contacts - e.g. accountants, payroll providers.
- Assisting with budgeting and business partnering - Managing relationships with and acting as the main point of contact for key members of the senior leadership team, as it relates to finance.
Working in a great team:
- Assisting with the financial aspects and wider operational components of our expansion across New Zealand and overseas
- Opportunities for growth! We are a supportive operations team, with a lot of experience working in dynamic start-ups in New Zealand and abroad. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn and develop alongside a growing company in a dynamic and exciting industry.
We enjoy working with... 💭
People from all walks of life who:
- Are highly curious. They believe in continuous improvement and lifelong learning
- Are one part pedant, one part pragmatist
- Are crafty like a sculptor, not a fox
- Have a favourite emoji and excellent taste in GIFs
What's #dovelife like? 🕊
We have always been a distributed first company. This allows us to work wherever, whenever (largely) and however we are most productive. We have lovely, modern offices in Surry Hills (Sydney), Auckland CBD, and Wellington. We've put in a lot of work to make sure our offices are enjoyable places to spend time, so most of our team members split their time between the office (dog friendly) and home (children on laps during Zoom calls).
The people on your team may not be co-located with you because we value self-motivated and comfortable working in an asynchronous and distributed team.
We value continuous learning and self-improvement. One component of this is the Dovetail Library: expense any book and share it with the team when you're done.
We encourage you to bring your personality and interests to work and have Slack channels set up to discuss life's simplest pleasures like #food, #gardening, and #life-hacks.
Given that we're a distributed team, we always make time for virtual banter to keep the team connected, including Friday themed playlists, Watercooler topics, and Slackbot daily check-ins.
We also value your health (both mental and physical) and will give you $200 to spend on something health and "fitness-y" each year, whether that's towards therapy, yoga classes, or new trainers.
Dovetail is also growing rapidly, which opens up significant opportunities for mobility and leadership. We are a Deloitte Fast50 company in New Zealand, coming in as the third fastest-growing technology company & Financial Times 4th Fastest Growing Company (NZ) in APAC 2021.
Dovetail Ventures is an arm of the business where we found, fund, and build businesses from the ground up. Working at Dovetail gives you ownership in current and future ventures. You can think of it as owning an index fund of early-stage technology companies. Three of our ventures have taken rounds of external funding and are in growth mode, having recently gone through Series A rounds. In other words, there's some real value there already.
And adventures 🛩
Since we're split across two countries, we like to get together face-to-face at least once a year as a company for a team retreat. In previous years, we've gone to Indonesia, Costa Rica and Queenstown (NZ). This year we hope to make up for last year's staycation. 🤞